Friday, March 13, 2009

Never Been A Winner

I've been thinking a lot about the claim in my last post that I've never been a winner in a roguelike. There are a few reasons for that:

1) I tend to play more difficult roguelikes, like Crawl Stone Soup. Some older roguelikes are just not that challenging and get boring very early on.

2) I try my best to stay away from spoilers. I read some character dumps on oook and the rgrm and rgra newsgroups, but other that that, I'm on my own. The thought is that once something is spoiled, it can't be unspoiled; you lose the excitement of finding something out on your own.

3) I play to enjoy the gameplay itself, not to win. If I only wanted to win, I'd read the spoilers...or play another type of game entirely.

So, with all of that being said, my short term goal now is to actually build a winner just to prove that I can do it. I've started the quest by diving into the original Rogue, which in the past I found a bit boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment