Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Favorites

As much as I'm a fan of roguelikes, I must admit that I'm not very good at them. Over the past few years of playing several different roguelikes, I've yet to win even one game. But that's OK...It's not winning that keeps me playing, but the discovery of the nuances of each and every game.

I played my first roguelike over 25 years ago as a kid. Probably on that old Vic-20 PC that I was lucky enough to get my hands on. Then, about 4 to 5 years ago, I discovered ADOM and soon after Zangband. I was hooked immediately. The depth of play and re-playability was incredible. And the fact that they were free in cost was a big plus too.

So now, years later, here are the roguelikes that I play most often and enjoy the most:

1) Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
This is the king-daddy of them all. So much choice. And so difficult.

2) NPPAngband
After playing several *bands, I quickly found this to be my favorite, thanks in large part to the quest system.

3) DoomRL
Wow. Simply incredible engine and a great take on the roguelike genre. The sound and music make this the one to have.

4) Entroband
Another *band, this one is no longer maintained, but it is still very good. Based off of Zangband/Hengband.

No comments:

Post a Comment