Sunday, March 22, 2009

Crawl Is Brutal

After playing my fair share of DoomRL over the last couple of weeks, I got sucked back into Crawl again this weekend. Tired of succumbing to deaths by poison, I tried playing a Naga Venom Mage and found some early success.

But, man...is this game brutal. After acquiring some really nice items for that 1st Venom Mage, I made some bad decisions and wound up as a pool of blood on DL5. An artefact piece of armour, 2 spell books, and a ring of magical power (!) just weren't enough to keep me from ruining this character's chances for glory.

So after a couple of re-rolls, I'm playing another nice Naga Venom Mage, slowly and surely gaining power. Confidence creeps in until about DL6 when I just can't get rid of a pesky imp, then again at DL7 when a zombie ant scares me down to DL8. "Ahh, the orc mines...Let's hit that! That is definitely doable, even though I've got the rot and am down 15HP. I got this!"

It was all going so very well, until I found myself in too open of an area. A warg, resistant and closing fast, with 3 orc cronies close behind back me into a corner. I zap the warg and it magically transforms into an ogre. Ouch! Not what I was hoping for.

Like I said, this game is brutal. But I'm not giving up on this race/class combo. Not in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment