Monday, March 30, 2009

2009 7DRLPC - Fruits of the Forest

I must admit, the more I play Fruits of the Forest the more I like it. Initially, I had some issues getting it to run on my main RL playing machine, a Samsung NC10 netbook running Fedora 10, but all seems to be working fine now.

FotF is really a nice and enjoyable roguelike. And challenging too. I'm still amazed that fully functioning games can be written in a mere 7 days.

Things I Like:
- Ability to run on Linux & Windows using the same executable, thanks to Java

- vi/vim key controls

- Challenging gameplay around the simple idea of: collect berries, kill bandits, feed villagers, repeat

Things I Don't Like So Much:
- There is a delay between when a directional key is pressed and when the character moves. This could be due to some issue with my system or just an issue with Java. Slightly annoying, but does not kill the gameplay experience.

- My NC10 has a funky display resolution (1024 x 600) and I need to 'cursor move' the window upward after starting each game in order to see the messaging at the bottom of the screen.

- If there are no Healberries near the starting location, you are pretty much hosed and don't have much of a chance in getting very far. This imbalance seems to exist in most of the games I've played so far.

It is easy to see how FotF can be expanded out a bit into a more robust game. I'm looking forward to a new version. Thanks to Ido Yehieli for a very nice roguelike.

No comments:

Post a Comment